2. At some point, we carried around little plastic eggs with tiny screens on them — in these screens lived our hearts, our pets, our raison d’etre, our very own Tamagotchi. We loved them, we listened to their tiny electronic screams of malnourishment, and we occasionally forgot to pick up their poop for long enough that they died a tortured, poop-filled death. They were perhaps our first foray into the life-consuming world of electronics and self-absorption, later to be fully manifested by Facebook.
3. The black Power Ranger was black and the yellow Power Ranger was Asian because…we were so completely ahead of our time and beyond the capacity to even think in terms of something as inconsequential as race that… uh… I don’t know. Casting directors were racist in the nineties.
4. Long before he was spending his days foisting his mediocre children on us, Will Smith was actually the perfect human specimen. He also undoubtedly holds some world record for saving the world the most times while simultaneously delivering flawless catchphrases and giving cool guy nods to the camera. The Men In Black rap song, at the time, was created and received by the public without the slightest trace of irony. Really. He was that good.
5. In some inevitable shift of the time-space continuum in which James Cameron continues to rob humanity of all that is good and sacred in this world, Fern Gully will be known as that movie that ripped off Avatar. It will be up to us to crusade for what is right. It is up to us to explain that Fern Gully was not only a predecessor to Avatar, but far better, in that it contained both Tim Curry as a singing pile of molasses and Robin Williams rapping about animal testing in the pharmaceutical industry. (As a side note, if you have not recently listened to the full lyrics of the “Batty Rap,” I recommend you do, as they are horrifying.)
6. A neighborhood boy who completely disregards your family and puts a ladder directly under the teenage girl’s window to climb up at his discretion is not only acceptable, it’s charming. It’s the kind of stuff that would make said family take the ladder boy under their wing and into their heart. The nineties were a simpler time, one where we didn’t have to worry about things like breaking and entering. Clarissa today would have steel bars on the inside of her window and her father would continually remind her that the next-door boy with his ladder and his touchy hands have no place in his household.
7. Though on the surface, they are the exact same thing in every conceivable way, whether you liked The Backstreet Boys or N*SYNC said more about your character than all of the terrible macaroni art you could ever make for your child psychologist. Essentially, liking *NSYNC meant you liked Justin Timberlake, as he was clearly the Seabiscuit in that race from the get-go. You even liked him with his terrible, icy-blond mini-fro. Liking the Backstreet Boys gave you a bit more of a cultured palate, as there was no clear Diana in those Supremes. Nick was kind of the wholesome, if northern-Florida-redneck safe choice (save for his humiliating younger brother, Aaron). Brian was the shy, sensitive type. AJ was the hottt, dangerous meth addict. Kevin Richardson was mute with sexy, sculpted facial hair. No one liked Howie. Choosing between the two groups was like choosing between two beloved children, but once that line was crossed–there was no going back.
8. “I wanna really really really wanna zig a zig ahh,” has a meaning, and all true nineties kids know it, but we must never share it. Like the Illuminati, it must remain between us, the keyholders. With great power comes great responsibility.
9. Lisa Frank is not the name of a woman, it is the name of a movement, a culture, a way of living. It is a theory, a concept, a belief in something greater than yourself. It is the belief that all girls are entitled to dolphins covered with rainbows, jewel-encrusted frogs, and unicorns in acid-trip colors hugging each other. It is the ideology that no notebook is complete until it literally hurts your eyes to look at from so much color saturation. It is the hope that no school supply, no matter how insignificant, will be left un-bedazzled. It is the knowledge that your eraser cap, and that of your granddaughter’s, and her granddaughter’s after her, will not be some boring little nub–it will be a diamond covered with butterflies in a rainbow of colors. It is the dream of a better tomorrow.
10. Incredibly depressing women in Indiana covered in cats and glass figurines they buy at The Hallmark Store used to troll the web 1.0 to invest thousands of dollars in tiny stuffed animals filled with plastic beans. That happened. Beanie Babies were not just significant, they were the first example most of us had of envy, greed, and wrath. If someone messed up that little heart-shaped Ty tag, so help you God, that was the end of whatever contact you had with that monster of a human being. That tag-less Beanie Baby was now trash, and you had to deal with the consequence. It was at that moment, that de-valued Beanie Baby moment, that most of us accepted the truth… we’ll never have nice things.
- ilightn reblogged this from femburton
- oddly2conditioned reblogged this from femburton
- oddly2conditioned likes this
- kcbalfour likes this
- thedisassociation likes this
- politekissgoodnight reblogged this from hashtagmoms
- mecchakawaiicherushi reblogged this from wagnerskurt
- mortvivant likes this
- lollipopl likes this
- verfound reblogged this from falling--withstyle
- crookedtreee likes this
- wckedwolf likes this
- malhonnete likes this
- civestotiusmundi likes this
- wagnerskurt reblogged this from falling--withstyle
- falling--withstyle reblogged this from wilderebellion
- wilderebellion reblogged this from rainwasheseverythingaway
- chestnutpixie15 reblogged this from femburton
- kaysta likes this
- manis6 likes this
- allihopeis likes this
- youkilledthecar reblogged this from kmartqt
- gracefire likes this
- hot-chocalatey reblogged this from femburton
- dylanobrns reblogged this from femburton
- one-wild-ferret reblogged this from kknightleyy
- deetledeet reblogged this from advanced-theory
- advanced-theory reblogged this from quidprobro
- c-h-a-o-s-m-y-t-h likes this
- teiahxoxo likes this
- of-the-eldestdogs reblogged this from feminist-fatalist
- zombieprostitutes likes this
- cliche-motivations likes this
- feminist-fatalist reblogged this from blairsbitchface
- meliay likes this
- qrswave reblogged this from blairsbitchface
- howispellit likes this
- i-just-suck-so-much reblogged this from david-bowie-is-a-reservoir-dog
- loving-hopeful-optimistic reblogged this from communitymanaged
- loving-hopeful-optimistic likes this
- dontskip9 reblogged this from inthepeppermintwind
- dsfsdklfjsldkf likes this
- sasstielwinchester reblogged this from weepformanetheren
- basileas likes this
- azhuresunsoar likes this
- wicked6 likes this
- krazybananas reblogged this from communitymanaged
- krazybananas likes this
- la-neigeblanche reblogged this from communitymanaged
- weepformanetheren reblogged this from unicornssaywoosh